Monday 21 November 2022

The Doomed Pretenders Project: An Introduction

Hi!

I've always been slightly hesitant with starting a directly WotR project (despite the excellent ranges of miniatures and example projects to draw inspiration from), partly because I'm never quite sure where to begin with one, and what to use as a 'hook'! I tend to get a bit indecisive over which factions, liveries and time periods to choose. I kept finding myself gravitating towards the pretenders and rebellions in the early Tudor period instead. The potential narrative tropes that can be applied there, like hidden princes and secret conspiracies which lend themselves really well to alternate-history scenarios and definitely captured the imagination!


Using that premise as a base, I've decided to (mostly) split this into three different periods (to correspond to three different pretenders):

Lambert Simnel, as Edward VI, with the Stoke Field rebellion in 1487

Perkin Warbeck as Richard IV with his assorted attempts on the throne through the 1490s

Richard de La Pole, also as Richard IV, with his planned invasions of England under Louis XII and Francis I


This would let me have a fairly wide set of options for figures and conversions to cover the early Tudor period, and a range of different factions I could use to represent the actual (or hypothetical in alternate history scenarios) support given to each of the pretenders over the roughly 40 year period until Pavia!


For a start, I decided to refurb the miniature I painted up to represent Perkin Warbeck, the middlest pretender, back in 2019 as part of my Burgundian project on the Lead Adventure Forum. I wasn't too happy with his old head, so I swapped that out for a new one for the new project!



I've based Perkin Warbeck on this (near) contemporary sketch of him, combined with the portraits we have of Edward IV, Richard III and Henry VII:


I added little white rose patterns onto his outfit to imply his Yorkist claims, where I thought that if Warbeck was insecure about people believing his claimed identity he would try to compensate by putting Yorkist symbolism all over himself to help convince people.

Another part of starting this project was to have an excuse to paint up some of the Perry WotR Irish range! I really like the figures but didn't really have anywhere to slot them in before, so this seemed like a nice justification! All three pretenders had at least some connection to the Fitzgeralds of either Kildare or Desmond, and even if only Lambert Simnel had any substantial support, it's not too outlandish for either Perkin Warbeck or the de la Pole brothers to field an Irish contingent in an alternate history scenario!

So with that in mind I'd painted up a few test Kern as a start:


Stuart Mulligan's thread on the Lead Adventure Forum (and blog post) were a big inspiration behind making a start on the Kern, and the research there has been a huge help! I highly recommend checking those out!

No comments:

Post a Comment